At Outwood Academy Brumby we have embraced the Personalising Learning agenda and feel very strongly that curriculum design and redesign has a major part to play in the meeting of students’ needs. We have tried to provide opportunities for ‘assessment when ready’ and choice, flexibility and progression are key elements of our curriculum offer. We see the curriculum as the building blocks on which good teaching and learning can take place.
KS3 (Years 7 & 8) key features
- Broad range of subjects: English, Maths, Science, Design & Technology, Languages (French, German), Geography, History, Dance, Music, Religious Studies, Art, ICT, PE.
- Students graduate into KS4 at the end of Year 8 provided that their effort has been satisfactory during KS3.
- All students graduating from Year 8 are encouraged to take part in the Outward Bound residential which takes place at the start of Year 9.
KS4 (Years 9, 10 & 11) key features
- Each week has 25 periods.
- Year 9 – 16 periods per week for core subjects and 3 periods per option subject. (students choose 3 options)
- Year 10 – 13 periods per week for core subjects and 6 periods per option subject (students choose 2 options)
- Year 11 – 16 periods per week for core subjects and 5 period per option subject
- Core subjects: English, Maths, Science, PE, Religious Studies.
- Options subjects are designed to be two year courses in year 9 and 1 year courses in years 10 & 11.
- Range of vocational courses on offer.
- All students are entered for English, Maths and Science GCSEs at the end of Year 11.
- Options in science include separate sciences (Triple Award), Environmental Land Based Studies (ELBS) and vocational science courses.
- Opportunities for students to have extra ‘booster’ time for English and/or Maths. Also booster sessions in Science for Year 11 students.
If you require further information regarding the curriculum please contact Dave Rogers (Assistant Principal) who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.